The Government has asked all Local Authorities in the UK to publish, in one place, information about the services and provision they expect to be available in their area for children and young people from 0 to 25 who have Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability (SEND).
This is known as the Local Offer. Further information about the Local Offer can be found on the County Durham Families Information Service website.
At Annfield Plain Infant School we are committed to the equal inclusion of all pupils in all areas of school life. We recognise the diverse and individual needs of all our pupils and take into account the additional support required by those children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
We recognise that all pupils are entitled to a quality of provision that will enable them to achieve their potential and enjoy well-being as outlined in the outcomes of ‘Every Child Matters’(be healthy, be safe, enjoy and achieve, make a positive contribution and achieve economic well being).
We believe in positive intervention, removing barriers to learning, raising expectations and levels of achievement and working in partnership with other agencies in order to provide a positive educational experience for all SEND pupils.
There are now four broad areas of SEND, these are:
- Communication and Interaction
- This area of need includes children with Autism Spectrum Condition and those with Speech, Language and Communication Needs
- Cognition and Learning
- This includes children with Specific Learning Difficulties, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties and Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
- This includes any pupils who have an emotional, social or mental health need that is impacting on their ability to learn
- Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties
- This area includes children with hearing impairment, visual impairment, multi-sensory impairment and physical difficulties.
SEND Information Report
Schools also have to publish a SEND Information Report on their website. This will provide details about how we implement our policy for children and young people with SEND.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.